Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#271660 - 07/12/2005 20:34 Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold
Cas_O
journeyman

Loc: 's-Hertogenbosch; the Netherla...
As the subject says. Normally the player is fine, but if it has to start up from cold (I think the threshold is at around 6 degrees C) it will just hang at "starting audio" as if it needs feedback before it can continue to boot up.

Doing a search revealed that CS4132A has been identified as possible cause in a similar case CS4132 not found. Thing is, as soon as the unit gets a bit warmer it's fine again (takes around 10 minutes).

It happens irrespective of input selected when powering down (I have original tuner module and use Karma to connect to it too). I've also re-flashed the player a couple of times; first with 2.0 final and twice after that with beta 13 (as the tuner didn't tune with V2 final). Have latest Hijack installed too. I also re-seated the HDD cable (which still is the original dodgy one). No joy there either...

The other weird thing is that when it doesn't hang, it will often misbehave, with some controls not working (especially the steering wheel ones through Sony interface). Rebooting helps in most cases but has also resulted in "staring audio" message.

I know, i know.... the obvious answer is I shouldn't leave it out in the cold in the first place..., but dragging in and out of the car isn't always practical, nor will my better half forget, even if she didn't mind bringing it in every time in the first place. However, if indeed it is a trait of a MkII I'll keep it indoors (and seriously consider a different head unit -or, come to think of it, move to sunnier resorts, Portugal, Spain, Italy )

Have others experienced problems with cold units? Doesn't Tanstaafl use his in Alaska - a lot colder than Holland. If it helps, I'll do a boot log, but I've never used a developer version or ever used hyperterminal. Any pointers and advice much appreciated.

#271661 - 08/12/2005 00:18 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: Cas_O]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Doesn't Tanstaafl use his in Alaska

Yes, indeed.

It doesn't seem likely that any electronic components would be affected by the relatively mild 6 degree C. temperature. More likely are the mechanical componenets - i.e., hard drive.

My old hard drive (40 GB) would start up pretty reliably down to about -15 F, (~-26 C). The new hard drive(s) (80 GB) are a little bit less forgiving -- anything colder than about -5 F (~-20 C) and I get the Hard Drive Not Found message.

However, since you are not getting the HDNF message that argues against a hard drive problem.

Your "cold" startups really shouldn't be causing this problem unless there is a failing component or temperature sensitive solder joint.

tanstaafl.

#271662 - 08/12/2005 03:34 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: Cas_O]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The one thing that "cold" does to electronics most often is:

Cold causes metal parts to shrink. Heat makes them expand.

An intermittent connection of some kind (such as a loose solder joint) could easily manifest itself in that way.

#271663 - 08/12/2005 05:46 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: tfabris]
Cas_O
journeyman

Many thanks for suggestions and experiences. If indeed related to a dodgy contact somewhere it's bound to get worse and very difficult to solve, I expect...

Good to hear though that in principle there's no problem using the Empeg in coldish environments. Perhaps buy another one and use this one at home only - funds permitting (which they never seem to do!)

#271664 - 08/12/2005 07:47 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: tfabris]
bjoern

Loc: Regensburg, Germany
Quote:
The one thing that "cold" does to electronics most often is:

Cold causes metal parts to shrink. Heat makes them expand.

An intermittent connection of some kind (such as a loose solder joint) could easily manifest itself in that way.

Ah, that would explain the sudden "sigkill error" that I get since it got colder. The screen would go very weird (like extra/missing lines, pixels out of line, etc.) and thn the only thing on the screen is the "sigkill error" message. After a couple of tries, it works just fine and it hardly ever occurs if the car is warm.

#271665 - 08/12/2005 08:23 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: Cas_O]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The CS4132 is not really likely to be the source of this. It either fails completely, or it doesn't. I would peg at a dying hard disk.

Until you post us a serial log from the boot it's difficult to diagnose.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#271666 - 08/12/2005 15:11 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: Cas_O]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
If it helps, I'll do a boot log, but I've never used a developer version or ever used hyperterminal. Any pointers and advice much appreciated.

This FAQ entry about using Hyperterminal might help you.

#271667 - 08/12/2005 20:46 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: Cas_O]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Almost *guaranteed* to be due to IDE header problems.

-ml

#271668 - 08/12/2005 20:56 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: Robotic]
Cas_O
journeyman

Mnay thanks for the link; will attempt to put a boot log up over the weekend.

Djeez, this board is f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c !

#271669 - 11/12/2005 16:00 Re: Player hangs on "starting audio" when cold [Re: schofiel]
Cas_O
journeyman

The empeg is suffering from dentist syndrome...

Since I've tried to capture the problem in a log, it's been behaving properly! I've even had it in the $%#@-ing freezer a bit (and let thaw out a bit in the frig to avoid condensation problems).

Works. Like a charm. Don't understand.

At least I now know how to get a log out of the unit with hyperterminal (it was actually very easy, but you all know that already, of course )

Thanks to all for the help though,

Cas